Ir al contenido

European  Union
Ayuntamiento de Pamplona :: Iruñeko Udala

Home > Pamplona Riverside Park > River Arga > Section of Rochapea

River Arga: Rochapea Section

The path in the Rochapea section

Bridge of San Pedro - Bridge of Cuatro Vientos

This section of the Arga once again approaches the foot of the Historical Quarter, parallel to Paseo de Ronda, from which one of the most beautiful views of the city can be admired.

Find out more about the entire walk >

Bridge of Cuatro Vientos

This bridge was built in 1789 in response to greater traffic between the north of Pamplona and Guipúzcoa. Work began on the construction of the road which joined the two provinces in 1875. Until then, northbound traffic used the Bridge of Santa Engracia. Consequently, the bridge was called the New Bridge of Santa Engracia. The name of Bridge of Cuatro Vientos came about as a result of popular imposition due to its proximity to the crossroads of the same name. As one chronicler points out, “the name of Cuatro Vientos (Four Winds) was used because it was a place at which the four winds which we know here as cierzo, bochorno, castellano and solano converge in perpendicular”. The bridge is made of stone and concrete, and consists of three large diminished arches. It was widened in the first half of the XX century.

© Pamplona City Council. Plaza Consistorial, s/n - Pamplona (Navarra) - 948 420 100 - Contact - Site map - Links - Credits