Ir al contenido

European  Union
Ayuntamiento de Pamplona :: Iruñeko Udala

Home > Pamplona Riverside Park > River Arga > Section of Rochapea

River Arga: Rochapea Section

The path in the Rochapea section

Bridge of San Pedro - Bridge of Cuatro Vientos

This section of the Arga once again approaches the foot of the Historical Quarter, parallel to Paseo de Ronda, from which one of the most beautiful views of the city can be admired.

Find out more about the entire walk >


The name of Corralillos del Gas (Gas Corral) comes from the existence at the site of a gas factory in the XIX century. The factory was built in 1861 to supply street lighting and homes in the Rochapea district. During the Third Carlist War (1872-1876), the factory ran out of raw material and had to shut down. It started production again a few years later before closing down for good at the end of the XIX century. In 1899, the City Council decided to use the gas factory to house the Castilian and Andalusian bulls brought to Pamplona for the fiestas, Navarrese breeders using the Sario corral. The area has been known as the “gas corral” ever since. The corral itself was provisional until 1918, when a permanent corral was built. The last remains of the old factory were pulled down in 1943 and the current corral was built in 2003. The complex consists of six enclosures next to each other and another one further to the north, all fitted out to meet the needs of the San Fermin fiesta.

© Pamplona City Council. Plaza Consistorial, s/n - Pamplona (Navarra) - 948 420 100 - Contact - Site map - Links - Credits